Friday, May 13, 2011

Mother's Day Reality Check

Goldie is seldom is sick, so it is easy for me to slip into a mindset that we have beat the "low immunity" aspect of Down syndrome. And maybe she has, but what has yet to be conquered is the darn dysphagia. So, on Mother's day, I sung my baby girl through IV sticks (3) and breathing treatments while my would be dinner of pasture raised filet mignon and NY strip, still wrapped in white butcher paper, lay in a pool of red juice.
While Goldie may catch less than half of the bugs I do, her low fluid intake makes fighting what she does come down with very difficult. This is compounded by the increased difficulty in swallowing when her sinuses are draining. A cold was making its way through our house and I had been worried that she wasn't coughing as much as her siblings and that mucous was, instead, settling in her chest. Mother's intuition, trust it. When I got her to the ER Sunday morning her oxygen levels were in the low 80's! A chest x-ray showed that Goldie had pneumonia. The rest of the day included IVs, oxygen, breathing treatments, antibiotics, and an ambulance ride. Listening to some folksy kid's music on Pandora, we rounded out the afternoon snuggled up in the hospital bed for a nap.
Hank still needs me at night, so I left Goldie in the capable arms of her Daddy. Then, I drove home, crying and feeling torn between my children. Repeat all of this for night two and add in a couple middle of the night phone calls with Goldie SCREAMING in the background. While all of this really stunk, my husband mentioned how much closer he feels to his little girl and I have found even more trust in him as her father, advocate, and protector.
She is home. She is tired. A trip to the post office yesterday, yielded a three hour nap! As for the rest of us, Hank has a double ear infection, the nine year old woke up with the stomach flu, and my hubby worked over fourteen hours yesterday. (I'm thankful for that because it means he has a job and we need the money to cover visits to the hospital). My promise to him when he left earlier: I will not crack up, today.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Ahh, Brandie. (((hugs)))

My would-be Mother's Day filet mignon also remained wrapped in butcher paper due to a trip to the ER for one of my kids' broken wrist :(

Feel better soon, Goldie.

Mel said...

My goodness, it never rains but it pours. Hope Goldie is better soon, and you get to catch up on some sleep...

Jenna said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. I am sad and sorry that Goldie is sick, has Pneumonia, and had to go to the hospital. What a tough little cookie, and an inspirational hero she is. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and have developmental delays. I don't have an immune system at all, so I have had Pneumonia twice, and croup and so on. It's tough when we are sick. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

Unknown said...

Many issues mention about cockfight in philipine, we are from ayam bangkok f2 want to explain that. You can read our article. Thanks.

Panggang Ayam Marketing said...

AWESOME THE PROMOTION OF GIRL BEAUTIFUL SALES KLIK HERE VIDEO SABUNG AYAM

GOOD PRICE AND CHEAP
http://www.gorengayam.org 


PLEASE PRICE DIRECTLY

https://medium.com/@panggangayam/keunikkan-ayam-bangkok-klawu-yang-belum-terdengar-11121c15c919

Achima Abelard said...

My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

Video Teraveloka said...

Link penyelamat bagi pecandu judi bola sbobet akan kami (S128CASH) sajikan tanpa terkecuali. Ini adalah link alternatif sbobet yang tidak boleh dijangkau anak-anak dibawah 17 tahun. Perlu bimbingan orangtua agar bisa menjangkau link sbobet berikut ini : (Baca Selengkapnya Disini...)

Anonymous said...

真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室 , 真人视讯聊天室