Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Brakes & Breaks

As a mother of four, it isn't often that I get to take a break longer than nap time.  Until, life puts the brakes on. I had surgery 6 weeks ago. It was scheduled and planned well in advance. Still, nothing really prepares you for not being able to care for your family. I always try to see the positive in everything, but it was really eluding me in the weeks and days leading up to the surgery. Of course, in the weeks since then it has only become more obvious.  My life was out of balance.

It is very easy for me to live in Down syndrome World. It's so simple to get there. All I have to do is take a seat at the station (between the family room and the kitchen) and wait for DSL express to pick me up.  Then, I simply choose from over 200 pre-programmed stops  (favorites, bookmarks).  Oh, I better not forget to pick up the mail (Yahoo groups) while I'm out! It stacks up fast.

Now seriously, I'm a research junkie. I do believe that has been a good thing for Goldie. There is a steep learning curve when your child is born with any kind of special needs. However, I think I've covered enough of that curve to warrant taking a break for a while. I wish I could say I came to this conclusion on my own, but I had some help from a too slow to use laptop. Not to mention being in too much pain to even think about sitting at my desk.

With the help of my Mom and my husband we pulled through. I'm even caught up on some of the movies I missed in the last 3 years along with having read all the books in the Twilight saga. Reading fiction was something I hadn't done since I was pregnant with Goldie. I also used the time to write  homeschool goals and objectives for  my two older girls, along with making some curriculum choices. Now that I've put the extra chromosome back in line I can keep moving forward with life, and this blog.

3 comments:

Tausha said...

Glad your Mom and husband were able to help out and that you were able to catch up on some things. It's so hard when Mom's are down and can't take care of everything.

Cheryl said...

With a little help from my teen daughter I realised I was stuck in Down syndrome World and not taking propper care of those around me.I'm also a research junkie.I think that is part of what makes me a good homeschool Mom.
This is a great post.

Tracy said...

Love the Ka Woop! Too sweet!
http://stinkerie.blogspot.com